[TUHS] daemons are not to be exorcised

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:26:41 AEST 2018

Hi,

The Hacker's Dictionary says that daemons were so named in CTSS. I'm
guessing then that Ken Thompson brought them into Unix? I've noticed that
more recent implementations of init have shunned the traditional
terminology in favor of the more prosaic word "services". For example,
Solaris now has SMF, the Service Management Facility, and systemd, the
linux replacement for init, has services as well. It makes me a little sad,
because it feels like some of the imaginativeness, fancifulness, and
playfulness that imbue the Unix spirit are being lost.