[TUHS] daemons are not to be exorcised

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Tue Mar 20 11:47:12 AEST 2018

"A. P. Garcia" <a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com> writes:

> The Hacker's Dictionary says that daemons were so named in CTSS. I'm
> guessing then that Ken Thompson brought them into Unix? I've noticed that
> more recent implementations of init have shunned the traditional
> terminology in favor of the more prosaic word "services". For example,
> Solaris now has SMF, the Service Management Facility, and systemd, the
> linux replacement for init, has services as well. It makes me a little sad,
> because it feels like some of the imaginativeness, fancifulness, and
> playfulness that imbue the Unix spirit are being lost.

Sweet and sour observation indeed.  I totally agree.  However, not all
is lost and there is some poetic justice in systemd being called
system-D, where the last letter still stands for a daemon.

--
Maxigas, kiberpunk
FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614 0901 7879 63BC 287E D166

https://relay70.metatron.ai/

Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories. - Donn Seeley