[TUHS] daemons are not to be exorcised

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Mar 22 00:17:53 AEST 2018

    > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>

    > Going forward, I wish that people tried to be simple as they tackle the
    > more complicated problems we have.

I have a couple of relevant quotations on my 'Some Computer-Related Lines'
page:

  "Deliberate complexity is the mark of an amateur. Elegant simplicity is the
  mark of a master."
	-- Unknown, quoted by Robert A. Crawford

  "Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it. Geniuses
  remove it."
	-- Alan Perlis

  "The most reliable components are the ones you leave out."
	-- Gordon Bell

(For software, the latter needs to be read as 'The most bug-free lines of
codqe are the ones you leave out', of course.)

I remember watching the people building the LISP machine, and thinking 'Wow,
that system is complex'. I eventually decided the problem was that they were
_too_ smart. They could understand, and retain in their minds, all that
complexity.

	Noel