[TUHS] Comments in early Unix systems

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Mar 22 11:31:23 AEST 2018

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 07:02:24PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 6:18 PM, William Corcoran <wlc at jctaylor.com> wrote:
>
> > Along the same lines:
> > ???...
> >
> > Is there any chance of finding a publicly available UNIX archive that
> > includes the corresponding SCCS data for UNIX---to the extent that SCCS
> > deltas and PRS comments can be examined?
> >

> Bill check out Diomidis Spinellis truely amazing work at:
> https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo
>
> ???He has done an amazing job of reconstructing much of the lost work.  It is
> a treasure for us all.

Agreed but I'd still like the SCCS history.  I have it somewhere for BSD, it
was on Kirk's cds but I'd love to wander through the SCCS from Bell Labs.

I'm an SCCS fan, BitKeeper (sadly forgotten these days, my baby) was SCCS
on steriods.  BK has an import tool that will take SCCS history and intuit
what we today call commits, it will find the changes that are in the same
time and by the same person and create a changeset for that.  BK is still,
to this day, by far the best tool to use to browse history.  So if I could
get the SCCS history for early Unix I could give you all a super pleasant
way to look at that history (we open sourced BK when we shut down).

--lm