[TUHS] Masscomp - Real Time Unix (RTU) an early UNIX based system, the first commercial multiprocessor and was realtime

Mike Markowski mike.ab3ap at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 05:02:55 AEST 2018

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:50 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
>> I was sys admin for a Masscomp with a 40MB disk
>
> Right an early MC-500/DP system - although I think the minimum was a 20M
> [ST-506 based] disk.
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:55 PM, Mike Markowski <mike.ab3ap at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I remember Masscomp  ...  it allowed data acquisition to not be swapped
>>> out.
>>>
>> Actually, not quite right in how it worked, but in practice you got the
> desired behavior. More in a minute.

[...lots of good stuff...]

> Clem

Thanks very much, Clem!  I had no idea what was under the hood of the
Masscomps I was using then, fresh out of grad school.  I was on a team
designing a tracking radar system and using the Masscomp as a tool to
control gear and acquire the return signals.  All my attention was on that
and not so much the computer itself.  Super interesting to learn about it.

Mike Markowski