[TUHS] long lived programs (was Re: RIP John Backus

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Mar 27 11:46:00 AEST 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:21 PM, Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, manufacturers love open source.

​HW manufacturers love FOSS because it got them out of yet another thing
that cost them money.   We saw the investment in compilers going away, now
we see the same in the OS.   But many ISV's are still not so sure.​

Funny compilers are a strange thing ... it's not in Gnu, much less
Microsoft's interest to get that last few percent out of any chip, as much
as it is for the chip developer.   Firms like Intel have their own compiler
team, ARM and AMD pay third parties.   But because if the competition, the
FOSS or even proprietary compilers get better [Certainly for languages like
Fortran were performance is everything - which is why 'production' shops
will pay for a high end compiler - be it from PCG, Intel or Cray say].

Truth is FOSS has changed the model.  But there are only some people who
will pay for support (particularly large HPC sites we all can name).   They
will pay some things, but those sites want to change everything (yet
another rant I'll leave for another day ;-)

​
ᐧ