[TUHS] [groff] Brian Kernighan on the evoution of eqn, pic, grap into troff

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue May 8 10:29:47 AEST 2018

I always envied people who had invested the time to understand
tex/latex. It felt like sitting next to senior wranglers in the maths
department, or the students heading to the civil service exams. What a
luxury: to learn how to apply cubic splines and bezier curves to
design ligatures, in the least possible instructions using a special
stack machine you designed to represent the ideal code, if you had a
computer to run it, bearing in mind that because *aesthetically* you
wanted your "o" to be slightly wider at the bottom than the top, you
had to wrangle a function in, to decide how to do that adjustment in a
non-linear manner given the scaling effects of applying the golden
mean to the design.

wait.. what were we doing again? Typesetting our theses? I can use -ms
for that. If I want the left margin in one inch, I say 1in. Who really
cares if the printer doesn't know whan an EM is?

T/roff might have been disgusting, but so was RUNOFF which I was
familiar with. So this is the classic "you can have it perfect, or
have it next tuesday" moment, which I believe was J Pierpoint Morgan,
who was in Zork, on the zorkmid, so I know it was a "thing".

Mind you, slitex was pretty good. I kind of wish I'd learned that.

Now, desperately trying to get papers into ACM and IEEE, I find myself
leaning on my elders, betters, and wisers, to understand which
\relax{} to do, and why. Its all greek to me.