[TUHS] unix "awesome list"

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Tue May 8 07:53:26 AEST 2018

Some would argue that it was well on its way to being forgotten by
BSD.  The problem with that statement is that the deployment of mice
and touchscreens meant that the base premise (universal interface) was
no longer true.  Fonts and markup completed the job.

When I first used Unix, I wrote several ed scripts every day, and
several shell scripts each week.  Glass terminals made ed scripts
obsolete without any similar abstraction being available for doing
similar text operations on several related files.
I still write shell scripts from time to time, but I always feel a
little guilty that I'm not writing a simple GUI that would be much
clearer and easier to use, but take an order of magnitude longer to
write...

Steve