[TUHS] Old Usenet newsreader source code?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed May 9 03:42:48 AEST 2018

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> you using?
>> >
>> > rn
>>
>> trn.  I *still* use it for the count-on-the-fingers-of-one-hand newgroups
>> that I follow.
>

> I also still use trn for the small number of groups that I can bring
> myself to still read semi-regularly.
>
> I was lamenting the (asymptotic) death of usenet to a colleague the other
> day and asked, "where are all the cool kids these days?" I was only half
> joking: back when news was the main nexus of interaction for technical
> communities, it really was where you'd go to find things out and where you
> could reasonably expect to interact with experts. For example, occasionally
> the likes of Dennis Ritchie would even post in comp.lang.c; Ken Thompson's
> MiG-29 flight story posted to rec.aviation is a classic. But those days are
> long gone, so where do technical communities communicate electronically?

The answer could be as simple as -- you are using one such medium at this
very moment.  I honestly believe technical mailing lists are the last
bastion of information exchange in the way most of us still remember.
Although I am writing this on an iPhone (and it really sucks for writing) I
still love to read/write emails on an old school DEC terminal or DOS era
VGA monitor.

All those new fads like reddit or web based forums just don't feel "right"
to me.

--Andy