[TUHS] Old Usenet newsreader source code?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 9 05:05:17 AEST 2018

On 05/08/2018 12:35 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> USENET as an entity is still alive and well.

Indeed.  Some might argue that there's a resurgence of Usenet servers.
I'm just one example that's has decided to run a text only news server.
I see more of them every year.

> The reason for it might be sharing of warez and porn,

I personally don't object to content leveraging the Usenet
infrastructure, *as* *long* *as* *it's* *legal*.

I can personally decide if I want to partake / consume in content or
not.  —  Obviously my text only news server does not partake in
non-textual content.

> but for example, alt.sys.pdp10 still exists

Yep.

I'm showing 164 messages since October 10th 2017.

% ls -1 /var/spool/news/articles/alt/sys/pdp10 | wc -l
164
% ls -l /var/spool/news/articles/alt/sys/pdp10 | grep 2017
-rw-rw-r-- 1 news news 1463 Oct 10  2017 1

> The problem is, many of us have stopped using it for whatever reason,
> and certainly don't store/forward much.

Fair.

I wonder how different things would be if various web applications
leveraged Usenet (NNTP) (or IMAP) as a back end storage for things like
blogs / forums.

> Maybe it's time to take it back and get back to the original intention
> of USENET.

I question if there is really anything to take back.  I was active in
comp.mail.sendmail for years and then stopped when I changed jobs.  All
I had to do was subscribe my news reader and continue like nothing ever
changed.  (Save for the smaller amount of content in said newsgroup
these days.)

I've personally run small news servers with ~10 peers twice.  One time
years ago, and again now I have two news servers.  One is on my VPS with
a bunch of peers and the other is in my house that only peers with my VPS.

If anyone wants to get back into the game, let me know and I'll happily
peer with you.

I think that "take back" really directly translates to "use again".

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die