[TUHS] Old Usenet newsreader source code?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 9 09:22:29 AEST 2018

On 05/08/2018 05:16 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> I don't understand what a "text only" news server is.  A "news" server
> schleps "news" around via NNTP.  The protocol is "text," as is SMTP
> for mail.

"Test only" means no binary files.  (UUCP or MIME encoded).

No images / no warz / no pr0n / etc.

I'm sure that something does occasionally slip through.  But it should
be such a rarity that nobody notices.

It also means that a number of the *.bin.* (et al) newsgroups are omitted.

"Text only" is just a generic classification and way of saying that I'm
not going to provide binary content.  Read:  Go get that from one of the
big professional players.  ;-)

> Is there a "binary" variation?

There is the NNTPS variant of running NNTP over SSL (TLS), but that
binary component is just the transport, not the protocol that runs
through it.

That being said, I think there there may be a tiny bit of binary to
NNTP.  Or at least every time I've looked at it with tcpdump /
Wirershark there was something about the replies from the receiving
server that make me think that ACKs / NAKs may be binary.  But chances
are good that I'm not paying enough attention and misinterpreting something.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die