[TUHS] Old Usenet newsreader source code?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed May 9 12:01:19 AEST 2018

On Tue, 8 May 2018, Henry Bent wrote:
> On 8 May 2018 at 18:32, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2018 6:22 PM, Henry Bent wrote:
>>
>>> My father was the sysadmin for Deja News at the time they were
>>> bought by Google.  I was told that the "buyout" consisted of some
>>> Google folks showing up with a rack of drives, dumping all of Deja
>>> News's data over a weekend, and then flying back out to Mountain
>>> View.
>>
>> Where are the original drives? Or tapes? (insert devilish grin
>> emoticon here)
>>
>> ak
>
> I have no idea where they are now.  At the time they were in Austin,
> TX.  I imagine that they probably just went to one of those many IT
> scrapyards, the warehouses full of old parts that the owners sell on
> eBay.

It was all auctioned off.  I went to that auction... it was the dot-com
bust auction where I saw things turn from being able to get a good deal
to a lot of stupid going on.  I bought two boxes full of SCSI hard
drives for $79/ea.  Turns out, it was about 20 drives and they were
mostly 4 and 9 gig Seagate HD's that still had a year or two left on
their warranty.  I turned around and re-sold them, untested, but with
a copy of the warranty status for each one with it, for something like
$5 or 10/gig.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX