[TUHS] UUCP "bag" files

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Fri May 11 00:25:27 AEST 2018

On 5/10/18 12:53 AM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 05/09/2018 09:51 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>> What are they to begin with?  Having run some "major" UUCP hubs in the
>> day, I have no clue what a UUCP "bag" is ...
>
> I see them in the context of Usenet via UUCP, so rnews.

Yes. Bag files are a file format used to transfer news via uucp,
popularized by dnews. I think they originated with satellite news
systems.

"Setting up a UUCP feed into DNEWS
	addsvc -del dposter
	addsvc -add dposter dposter.exe "dposter -dir c:\uucp\in -to news.here.com"
    This will search for files called *.bag in the directory c:\uucp\in
    and after processing them it will delete them.  It's your job to write
    a batch script to get the files in this directory and uncompress them
    if necessary.
    You may also need to add ihave access to your own machine:
         news.here.com:read,post,ihave:::*

    The BAG/UUCP file format is:

    #! rnews nnnn
    ...(article, exactly nnnn bytes, counting each end of line as one byte)
    #! rnews nnnn
    ...(next article)...

Setting up a UUCP feed out of DNEWS
   In newsfeeds.conf add a feed, e.g.
           	site site1.name.uucp
	       		groups *

   Add a service (or process to run xmit and dposter)
	addsvc -add dxmit1 xmit.exe "dxmit1 site.name.edu -at *5 * -uucp
c:\dnews\site1 "

   This will create files called news000n.bag in the directory
c:\dnews\site1
   It's your job to uucp copy these to the destination sites, and delete them.
   If you want you can compress them first.  :-)

   The format of the file is:

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/