[TUHS] Windows Notepad to support Unix line endings

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 11 10:35:40 AEST 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> wrote:

> Very well said Clem.
>
> Linux is not Unix.
> Linux is unix.

Linux is not UNIX.

According to the UNIX trademark guidelines, the second one is not
permitted... :)

Note the case difference.

> Linux does not have the licensing to claim to be a proper Unix (clone) and
> thus the privilege to use the uppercase "U".  But (IMHO) Linux is very much
> in the unix spirit or idea.

There were a couple of very specific distributions of Linux that passed the
Unix licensing tests from the X/Open group years ago, but I don't know what
happened after that.

> Analogy:  A Toyota Tacoma is not a Ford Ranger (Unix) but they are both
> pickup trucks (unix).

I was going to say that Linux is a UNIX-like operating system, but The Open
Group doesn't like that either :)

Warner