[TUHS] Who used *ROFF?

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 11:40:54 AEST 2018

I have read that one of the first groups in AT&T to use early Unix was
the legal dep't, specifically to use *roff to write patent
applications.  Can anyone elaborate on this or supply references?
(This would in great contrast to today, where most applications are
written with certain products despite the USPTO, EPO, and others only
accepting PDF versions.)  It would also be interesting to learn how
the writers were taught *roff, what editors were used, and what they
thought.  (I recall that the secretaries, as they were then called, in
the math dep't used vi to compose plain TeX documents and xdvi to
proofread them.)

N.