[TUHS] UUCP "bag" files

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat May 12 14:39:03 AEST 2018

On 05/10/2018 10:18 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> Yes, but rnews understood batching from day one.  It would have been
> insane to execute rnews on each and every article sent across.  (I made
> that mistake in a config file once; that the remote host didn't completely
> die was a testament to CTIX.)  That's why every news transport batched
> up multiple articles into a single 'uux remote!rnews' job.  This existed
> from at least the bnews software, and we always called them "news batches"
> or similar.

Well, I don't know what to say.  After a LOT of research, extracting old
archives, digging through a LOT of things, I can only come to the
conclusion that what have been called "bag" files in the circles that
I've traveled in are in fact the output of batcher, thus standard "#!
rnews <length>" files.

I think part of my confusion was that I was working with using UUCP at
the same time to transport files via sneaker net using something similar
to batcher / rnews files.  I guess I conflated the two things.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

> There were no "bags."

They might not have been a different format (like I thought) but there
were most definitely referred to as "bag" files in the circles that I've
traveled.

I have repeatedly found reference to them, around DNews, and being
called "bag" files because of the ".bag" file extension that they had.

I haven't been able to find anything to indicate if the nickname came
from the file extension or if the file extension came from the nickname.

chicken ("bag") <-> egg (.bag extension) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you all for your input.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

--
Grant. . . .