[TUHS] The birth of the Z3

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon May 14 07:07:44 AEST 2018

Yes of course.  I used to program the 8 so I remember.  But I (sloppily) think of them the same way although you are correct they are different in implementation.  But my key point is until conditional instructions that change the path come along we are not to the general purpose computing platform.

Their is a open question about the need to support self modifying code too.  I personally don’t think of that as important as the need for conditional instructions which I do think need to be there before you can really call it a computer.   But that’s my opinion and others clearly believe neither are needed.

Clem

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.