[TUHS] Who used *ROFF?

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Tue May 15 04:18:48 AEST 2018

arnold at skeeve.com writes:
> Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 05/14/18 11:21, Jon Steinhart wrote (in part):
> > > Also, as part of the book project, I have a script that I've written that
> > > converts the original troff source into OpenOffice XHTML since my publisher
> > > won't do troff.
> >
> > I am curious about PHI.  Tannenbaum praises troff in his prefaces (and
> > says that all his books are written in troff).  Not much on the PHI website.
> >
> > N.
>
> This is getting off-topic.  Prentice Hall (Pearson) generally works with
> Word but they are able to make allowance for other formats. For sure TeX,
> and they can work with troff if the author wants to provide the "camera
> ready copy" themselves (see, for example, Brian's book on Go, done with
> groff).
>
> I wrote my PH book in Texinfo and the converted it to DocBook XML; they
> used a contractor to actually go from there to typesettable copy.
>
> Arnold

Well, this issue, at least in my case, isn't troff per-se.  It's that editors
and such want to be able to read test, make comments in the margins, and track
changes.  I would claim that troff, tex, et. al. are great tools for people
who write stuff and shepherd it to publication which is great for specs and
technical papers and all that.  What's lacking is tools for the involvement
of third-parties such as editors.

Jon