[TUHS] Who used *ROFF?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed May 16 01:56:21 AEST 2018

Hi,

Arnold wrote:
> Clem wrote:
> > wrote a wonderful "Masscomp Style Guide" for all the books - I still
> > have my copy.   Tim took it with him when he created O'Reilly.

Tim talks about Masscomp and the start of O'Reilly.
https://plus.google.com/+TimOReilly/posts/5cw5z69qZPg

> DocBook. Bleah.

Eric S. Raymond has a long-term plan underway to get all man-page source
moved to DocBook or asciidoc using his doclifter program, and convincing
projects to make the switch.  Unfortunately, some have.  DocBook stinks
and it shows how long the project has been going that Eric chose it back
when it and XML were still shiny.

He argues that decent-quality output, e.g. PDF, isn't required any more.
(I like man pages I'm reading from top to bottom in higher resolution
than a TTY, e.g. perl(1) when you could learn it from its single page.)
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7998

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy