[TUHS] Who used *ROFF?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 16 02:53:15 AEST 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Eric S. Raymond has a long-term plan underway to get all man-page source
>> moved to DocBook or asciidoc using his doclifter program, and convincing
>> projects to make the switch.  Unfortunately, some have.  DocBook stinks
>> and it shows how long the project has been going that Eric chose it back
>> when it and XML were still shiny.
>>
> xkcd on Standards <https://xkcd.com/927/>  (And the Gnu guys have their
> doc standard ...)
>
> Things are more like the are today then they have ever been before."
> Dwight David Eisenhower ​

I recently committed a fix to FreeBSD that made booting a little less
verbose. Seems like on EC3 the scrolling is painfully slow. By removing the
one-line-per-core/thread (well, 5 lines) I was able to speed up boot times
40%. My comment was 'The more things change, the more it's 1985 again' when
I was doing similar hacks to make programs run faster when run from the
Decwriter II in the lap connected at 300 baud...

Warner