[TUHS] Who used *ROFF?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed May 16 21:11:14 AEST 2018

On Tue, 15 May 2018, Larry McVoy wrote:

>> I like the manpage format!  It tells me everything I need to know, in
>> the correct order, and it's in good old plain ASCII...
>
> +1 - DocBook does nothing for me but it appears that I'm losing that
> argument. The kids will get the mess they deserve I suppose.

Proof by example: "TERM= man man" i.e. turn off all possible highlighting
etc, and it's still readable (but you do get a warning about your terminal
not being fully functional or something - big deal).  Try doing *that*
with your fancy doc system...

I've forgotten who designed the "man" format (JFO?) but it's great, and they
deserved some sort of an award for it.

As for the kids of today, well, eventually they'll learn that their kids
in turn will get to choose their nursing home :-)

-- Dave, not quite old enough for a nursing home yet