[TUHS] Control-T (was top)

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Fri May 25 01:08:24 AEST 2018

On 5/24/2018 10:50 AM, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> Another related creeping featurism was the integration of the control-T feature that was prevalent in many of the DEC 10/20 OSs.
Control-T in TOPS-10 was done straight out of the monitor. If you were
on a slow 300 baud or 110 baud terminal on say a DZ11*, and kept hitting
Control-T really fast, you'd slow down everything else on the machine as
there was no buffering of serial TTY I/O and the monitor would sit and
wait for each character to be transmitted.

ak

* a DZ11 is UNIBUS and was only available on a KS10 - but I'd imagine
any straight serial port on a KA/KI/KL10 would do the same. If you were,
say, on a DCA mux, that had a 14.4K serial link straight into the
UNIBUS, there was much less of an effect.