[TUHS] Alan Turing and his computable numbers

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon May 28 09:14:05 AEST 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018, Toby Thain wrote:

>> Sigh; if only he hadn't eaten that apple...  And we'll never know
>> whether it was murder or suicide.
>
> What's the "murder" theory?

A jealous lover, apparently, who knew that he liked apples.

> I thought the question was whether it was deliberate suicide or a lab
> accident. Not that I'm a Turing expert...

Can't remember where I saw it (it was a book on Turing's life), but given
that homosexuality was illegal at the time, no doubt the police would've
had an interest in spreading the story...  You know, "this is what can
happen to you if you become a homo" etc (despite the fact that it's quite
common amongst mammals).

-- Dave