[TUHS] History of top

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue May 29 10:16:00 AEST 2018

Below

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

> On May 28, 2018, at 6:43 PM, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:
> I suspect that top-like displays were added to most other interactive
> operating systems, as soon as screen terminals made updates convenient without wasting console paper.  One of the first questions likely to be asked by interactive users is "what is my job doing?".
Absolutely true - all interactive systems had something like it that I remember. Certainly the 10s but as you point out CDC.  I remember  In the early - mid 1970s CMU had a display outside of the computer center and in the terminal room on a ‘large screen display’ connected to the 360/67 system which ran TSS - IBM’s timesharing system - systat ran constantly.

As I said before there were lots of versions that were hacks off of ps in the Unix world.  Top as we know it was just a matter of time.

Clem