[TUHS] History of top

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue May 29 16:53:22 AEST 2018

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> I therefore expect that there was 460-entry list of log messages that
> predated 2-Jun-1979, and likely went back a few years.  Two other
> versions of sysdpy.mac in my archives have also dropped log messages
> before 461.

The copyright notice goes back to 1976, which is about then TOPS-20 was
first released, right?

Is this a TOPS-10 version of SYSDPY?  It was copyrighted in 1970.

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/bb-jr93e-bb/14/7,6/ap014/sysdpy.x14.html

> Even before TOPS-20, on the CDC 6400 SCOPE operating system, there was
> a similar tool (whose name I no longer recall) that gave a
> continuously updated display of system-wide process activity. That was
> available in at least late 1973.

I didn't mean to start a mine-is-older-than-yours, but anyway, PEEK
is documented in AI memo 169 from November 1968.