[TUHS] History of top

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Wed May 30 02:54:57 AEST 2018

On 5/28/18, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:

> I suspect that top-like displays were added to most other interactive
> operating systems, as soon as screen terminals made updates convenient
> without wasting console paper.  One of the first questions likely to
> be asked by interactive users is "what is my job doing?".

And even to non-interactive operating systems.  Inspired by systat and
sysdpy on TOPS-10, I implemented similar functionality for DOS/VS on
the IBM System/370.  It did a continuously updating display of what
each partition was doing on a 3277 transaction terminal.  Very useful
for the system operator.  OS/VS1 had a similar utility.

-Paul W.