[TUHS] Control-T (was top)

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed May 30 10:19:32 AEST 2018

A few comments.

1). If you grab ^s/^q from the alphabet it means you can send raw 8 bit data because they are valid characters (yes you can use escape chars but it gets very bad)

2) RTS/CTS flow signaling was very much part of the standard but it’s optional  and was used differently by the bell modem interface spec as you point out. I have the spec full somewhere.  It was originally in the ECMA standard for RJE stations actually.  IIRC it was the one if the European firms like ICL that created it.  Again IIRC MacNamera describes it also in his early19079s classic book on data com.

3) DEC did not stick to the standard on the DZ11 neither ECMA interface nor the WE/Bell system standards. either Paul is absolutely right.  It drove MacNamera crazy as I believe he was the lead designer of the original DH which did (the topic came up at a party once).  WE212 modems worked on dz11 for input but just barely and could not use a WE dialer for output (who’s number I now forget). Remember the AT command dialer stuff was not originally a standard from the telcos.  The modems were independent of the dialer (which used the RS-4xx standard and I also have some where and I forget the number).

15 WE212 Modems went into WE modem rack and the first slot was special and could support either a 16tg modem or a single WE dialer which was common the 15 modems in the rack.

The logic to make it all work is well described and spelled out in the original UUCP code.

Btw Tom Truscott of UNC I believe built a home made dialer that snapped a relay over the pots line to simulate a dialer using a DR11C and did paper in the 1980 winter usenix in Boulder (aka the black hole) — at the time the AT modem stuff did not yet exist, but universities often did not use the WE standard modems of racks (Racal Vadic was popular) and the original dec dialer interface to the bell system stuff I think I remember was from DEC’s CSS group and not easy to get.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.