[TUHS] Control-T (was top)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu May 31 09:14:03 AEST 2018

On 30/05/2018 23:10, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 30.05.18 02:19, Clem cole wrote:

>> 1). If you grab ^s/^q from the alphabet it means you can send raw 8
>> bit data because they are valid characters (yes you can use escape
>> chars but it gets very bad)
>
> But this has nothing to do with 8 bit data.
[...]
> What you are talking about is simply the problem when you have inband
> signalling, and is a totally different problem than 8bit data.

True, but what I believe Clem meant was "binary data".  He did write
"raw data".

> RTS/CTS signalling is certainly a part of the standard, but it is not
> meant for flow control. It is for half duplex and the way to signal when
> you want to change the direction of communication.
>
> It is meant for *half duplex* communication. Not flow control.

Actually, for both, explicitly in the standard.  The standard (which I
have in front of me, RS232C August 1969 reaffirmed June 1981) does
indeed explain at length how to use it for half duplex turnaround but
also indicates how to use it for flow control.  It states the use on
one-way channels and full-duplex channels to stop transmission in a
paragraph before the paragraph discussing half duplex.

> The AT "standard" was never actually a standard. It's only a defacto
> standard, but is just something Hayes did, as I'm sure you know.

Except for ITU-T V.250, which admittedly is a Recommendation not a Standard.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull