[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Mon Nov 5 07:46:12 AEST 2018

I had the great pleasure of learning on an NIS/NetInfo/Active Directory. I’m not sure what the windows service was called but we would edit all our clients to point to a sun solaris 6-8 NIS server.

Sun bought some LDAP company with planet in the name and I never in months of trying could get their LDAP script to set-up the LDAP environment.

Over time we added Open Directory which is what OS X used after NetInfo. I still use directory services and have used OS X Server’s Directory Server as a kerberized LDAP server or Linux and server user’s accounts. This required get the Linux servers to bind using SASL to my kerbierized server.

That has been my experience and with the changes coming to OS X server I’m now moving towards OpenBSD but plan on bringing the OS X and it’s Directory Server with me as long as it lasts:)

Let me know if you have specific questions,

Ben