[TUHS] Unix half a billion seconds old in 1985

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Nov 5 09:39:04 AEST 2018

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> UNIX was half a billion (500000000) seconds old on Tue Nov  5 00:53:20
> 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).
> 		-- Andy Tannenbaum
>
> Hmmm...  According to my rough calculations, it hit a billion (US) seconds
> around 2000.

There were billion second parties around the world at the time.  Two days
later all hell broke loose...

$ date -d @1000000000 -u
Sun Sep  9 01:46:40 UTC 2001

A few of my friends had a lunch to celebrate 1.5 billion seconds since the
epoch in 2017 too.  Alas, I couldn't make it to lunch.  1.5 billion
seconds was actually reached during the lunch thanks to our TZ:

$date -d @1500000000
Fri Jul 14 12:40:00 AEST 2017

Rob