[TUHS] Unix half a billion seconds old in 1985

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Mon Nov 5 10:42:52 AEST 2018

On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 15:44:37 -0700 Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> > UNIX was half a billion (500000000) seconds old on Tue Nov  5 00:53:20
> > 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).
> >                 -- Andy Tannenbaum
> >
> > Hmmm...  According to my rough calculations, it hit a billion (US) seconds
> > around 2000.
> >

> It's over a billion and a half today:
> % date +%s
> 1541371441

Strictly speaking Unix wasn't born on Thu Jan 1 UTC 1970, right?
dmr says this in "The Evolution of the Unix Time-Sharing Sytem":

  Although it was not until well into 1970 that Brian
  Kernighan suggested the name `Unix,' in a somewhat
  treacherous pun on `Multics,' the operating system we know
  today was born.

I wonder if how many unix programmers were born on Thu Jan 1
UTC 1970.  Linus comes close.