[TUHS] PDP-11/VAX Unix Chaosnet

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Nov 5 20:08:11 AEST 2018

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > Let's hope it's OK!

Indeed! It will be fun to see that code.

    > I suppose I'll have to add a simulation of the Unibus CH11 Chaosnet
    > interface to SIMH.

Why? Once 10M Ethernet hardware was available, people switched pretty rapidly
to using that, instead of the CHAOS hardware. (It was available off the shelf,
and the analog hardware was better designed.) That's part of the reason ARP is
multi-protocol.

Some hard-to-run cables (e.g. under the street from Tech Sq to main campus)
stayed CHAOS hardware because it was easier to just keep using what was there,
but most new machines got Ethernet cards.

    Noel