[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Nov 6 08:43:53 AEST 2018

On 11/5/2018 2:32 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:

>> NIS+ was encrypted over the network, and needed a public key
>> mechanism to authenticate clients. One of which was the server
>> itself. With it's hierarchical architecture, it had a lot of
>> flexibility.
>
> The encryption would thwart snooping.  But it doesn't sound like that
> would prevent a properly authenticated client from ypcating too much
> information.
Unless someone already replied and I didn't read it yet:

NIS/YP is different than NIS+. NIS/YP is the old protocol. You could
basically bind to any server with the correct domain name, and look at
all the maps including passwd with it's encrypted passwords.

NIS+ is the hierarchical, encrypted, clients-need-keys, protocol.

Almost two entirely different things. And "almost" is more like
99.99999999999999999% different :)

ak