[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Nov 6 11:28:47 AEST 2018

[Getting a bit off-topic now...]

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:

>> There is a damned good book on LDAP in general (I can't remember the
>> title, but it's a thick hard-cover)
>
> Do you by chance know any more details?  I'll dig and see if I can find
> it.

This looks like it (I recognise the authors) but I would've had the first
edition, and my ex-supervisor is no longer at work:

     https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Deploying-LDAP-Directory-Services/dp/0672323168/ref=zg_bs_69960_25?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZWNJQSFWS5ARJEG469XN

You may have to strip off tracking codes...

I see there's also an O'Reilly book, but it's an admin guide so presumably
basic knowledge of LDAP is required.

[...]

> I think I understand that.  Or at least what (little) I know doesn't
> doesn't seem to have any objection to that.  I know that I would not
> want to use LDAP as a general purpose relational database.

It most certainly is not; it's optimised for searching (with complex
patterns) and reading, not for writing.

-- Dave