[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Tue Nov 6 15:03:00 AEST 2018

One place I worked recently used FreeIPA.  It's a Redhat-sponsored attempt to integrate a bunch of other free/open source projects and put them under a single web UI.

It’s largely compatible, functionally, with Active Directory, and I think can be set up to support cross-realm authentication with an AD installation as well.  It *doesn’t* (or at least in the setup I used) replace AD, and doesn’t seem to use any Samba components.

It does however include the DHCP and (Dynamic)DNS integration that’s part of AD.

It seemed pretty fragile in practice, although the overall level of systems expertise in this place was fairly low, and a lot of its problems could well have been issues with the underlying virtual machine or storage infrastructure.

I too still use NIS at home.  It works with my Linux boxes, but also the Sun, DEC, SGI and NeXT stuff as well.  I like the idea of a central directory, but X.500 always seemed like overkill and the “Lightweight” bit of LDAP doesn’t quite throw enough away for me …