[TUHS] YP / NIS / NIS+ / LDAP

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:53:58 AEST 2018

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018, 01:32 Ben Greenfield via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> > On Nov 5, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/05/2018 12:24 AM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> >> Let the client handle authentication via Kerberos
> >
> > I don't know enough about Kerberos (yet) to know if it would be possible
> for a login process to communicate with the KDC and get a TGT as part of
> logging in, without already being logged in.
> >
> > My ignorance is leaving me with a priming problem that seems like a
> catch 22.  You can't login without shadow information or TGT.  But
> traditional (simpler) kinit is run after being logged in.  So ... how do
> you detangle that?  The only thing that I can come up with is that the
> login process does the kinit functionality on the users behalf.
>
> I found that I had to do all of this using SASL.
>

> I remember it as SASL would handle the kerberization during boot up
> getting tickets for each LDAP entry that you wanted mapped to a service on
> that client.

Sorry but I cannot parse that sentence at all...

> I could be wrong but I think SASL seems to be way connect services on
> Linux with LDAP that are served kerberized.

SASL is involved somewhat, in that it does help with implementing Kerberos
– services and clients can call libsasl instead of talking Kerberos
directly, abstract away the complexity – but that's all it is, an
abstraction layer. (A quite useful one, though.)

But it's not the only method, strictly speaking (e.g. SSH and HTTP use
GSSAPI, and various older software use Kerberos directly). And as far as I
could understand the previous paragraph – it doesn't have anything specific
about "kerberization during boot up".