[TUHS] [groff] How to show all hyphenation points?

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 02:49:09 AEST 2018

[adding groff at gnu back into CC]

I think the TUHS guys might be wondering where this topic came from. :)

At 2018-11-08T11:30:46-0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> > I have a vague intuition right now that the hyphenation decisions
> > should be accessible without having to invoke the output driver.
>
> Would't that require some way to detect a hyphenation event?
> Offhand, I can't think of a way to do that.

That's a harder problem than I was trying to crack; I just wanted to be
able to ask the underlying *roff where it _might_ hyphenate a word, not
where it actually ended up hyphenating one on the output.

> But if you know in advance what word's hyphenation is in
> question, you could switch environments, use the .ll 1u
> trick in a diversion, and base your decision on the result.

That had not occurred to me; I am not au fait with diversions.  Thanks!

--
Regards,
Branden