[TUHS] Directory services in early Unix networks?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Nov 9 09:14:29 AEST 2018

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018, 1:07 PM Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net wrote:

> On 11/8/2018 6:34 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> > We definitely had it on the SunOS 4.0
> > Sun servers that we bought later on.
> Still incorrect. ;)
>
> It first showed up in Solaris, not SunOS.

Early directory services were rcp/ftp, in all their glory. :). Mostly
though at the small school I was at it was moot. THE VAX we had was 100%
ASCII terminals to access it, except if you were logging in from the
Tops-20 box via telnet from one of its ASCII terminals.

SunOS 4 definitely had YP. We used it in school when the Tops-20 machine
was replaced by a boatload of 68000 machines running SunOS and Suntools...
I can't recall if 3.5 also had it or not... it was later it changed to NIS.

Warner