[TUHS] cute baby pictures and amazing stories

Ben Walton bdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 01:00:51 AEST 2018

Interestingly, as of 2012, the UofT variant of ed referenced here was still
in active use. There was at least one professor that required it (rather
than the standard linux/solaris/whathaveyou ed) on machines she[1] used. It
was carried along all these years, most recently being packaged as an rpm
and made a standard part of every installation being done for systems I
tended. I expect it's still around in other parts of UofT as well, but
don't know for sure.

The code itself lacked many modern trimmings and still didn't pull in
various headers you'd expect in modern C programs because it had its own
implementations of things like isspace, etc. I'd always known it as "Henry
Spencer's ed" because that's the part of the UofT world I was working in. I
didn't realize the full heritage of it until this video. Very cool!

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Dr. Z was awesome, and I found it kinda nifty to keep this piece of
heritage alive.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:16 AM Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> really appreciate videos of talks like this as someone who wasn't lucky
> enough to be around to experience this in person but benefits from the
> things your generation built for us:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2NI6t2r_Hs&feature=youtu.be
>
> thanks rob!
>
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens