[TUHS] man-page style

Jim Capp jcapp at anteil.com
Sat Nov 17 01:33:05 AEST 2018

It was man pages that first caught my eye, placing me on a life-long path of working
with Unix and its derivatives.

I was working on a project for a telephone company, converting IBM 2780 Bisync to
async, and was given a manual and root access to a Xenix machine. I had cut my
teeth on a Radio Shack TRS-80 and knew BASIC and Z80 machine code.

The machine had BASIC, so that is where I started. I had spent an afternoon
writing a hex dump program before I discovered "od". I spent the next day reading
all the man pages. I was amazed with their simplicity and clarity.

Having finished the man pages, I read the Unix Programmer's Manual cover to cover.
I re-wrote the hex dump in C just for fun. I was sold.

The remarkable simplicity of Unix, the kernel, the commands, the documentation,
is a beautiful thing. And I was fortunate to have found it early in my career.

It was also a time, when the manuals were concise enough to read them all
in a few day's time.

To put that into perspective, it took me weeks to acquire a copy of the documentation
for IBM 2780 Bisync, and even then it left me with more questions.

I was simply amazed to have found such an elegant system. That it came with
documentation on every aspect of the system was almost to good to be true.

For a young programmer starting out in the world, man pages were like gold.

Jim