[TUHS] man-page style

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 03:31:14 AEST 2018

On 11/16/18, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I think there was a help at one point but it got lost.  PWB maybe?
> There is still apropos which can be useful.

Except for two things:

(1) You have to know to type "apropos" in the first place.  Completely
non-obvious to the newbies who really need it.

(2) I don't know how apropos is implemented, but it appears to be a
rather simple-minded (as opposed to the DWIM-style search of Google
and its friends) textual search engine for man pages.  I never got the
hang of it.  For me it always either turned up nothing or produced
reams of hits--too big a haystack to find the needle of info I was
looking for.

Very much a stylistic thing, and a matter of taste IMO.  As you say,
the command interface to Unix has a steep learning curve, but it is a
system designed by experts for experts.

-Paul W.