[TUHS] man-page style

Earl Baugh earl.baugh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 10:25:09 AEST 2018

I started on Unix in the ‘80’s and it was to help out a friend with adding waves to a ray tracing system he was building. I knew C at the time... my friend gave me like 5 vi commands and sat me down in front of the terminal with a visual bell. (Luckily I don’t have epilepsy or all that flashing would have had me in seizures :-) )

After answering about 30 questions about library calls available, he taught me the most useful thing I ever learned for Unix. “man -k | grep <word>”.  From there on out, I was on my own and completely equipped to learn all I needed.

As a side note, when I saw Google fir the first time, I said “oh, man -k | grep for the web....”

Earl