[TUHS] man-page style

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Nov 18 01:39:19 AEST 2018

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > Emacs is very much divorced from the Unix philosopy. However, it's
    > perfectly in synch with how things are done in ITS.

Hmm. It is complicated, but... the vast majority of my keystrokes are typed
into Epsilon (a wonderful, small, fast EMACS-type editor for Windows, etc
which one can customize in C) - especially since I started, very early on (V6)
to run my shell in an EMACS window, so I could edit commands, and thus I was
pretty much always typing to EMACS. So, it makes sense to me to have it be
powerful - albeit potentially a bit complex.

I say 'potentially' because one could after all restrict oneself to the 4
basic motion commands, and 'delete character'; you don't have to learn what
CRTL-ALT-SHIFT-Q does.

    > Stallman .. developing GNU Emacs (from Gosling's version)

Err, I'm not sure how much influence Gosling's was. He had, after all, done
the original EMACS on ITS; I got the impression he just set off on his own
path to do GNU Emacs. (Why else would it be implemented in LISP? :-).

	Noel