[TUHS] man-page style

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 09:38:32 AEST 2018

Hi Jim,

> > GNU "info" is one of the most non-intuitive interfaces that I've
> > ever had the displeasure to use. Or maybe that's just me...
>
> I would cringe anytime I had to use "info" ... I always wondered where
> it came from

>From somewhere that didn't fit in well with Unix.
Its saving grace is piping info(1) made it just dump all the text,
skipping its UI, e.g.  `info gcc | less'.  Because it used to print
formatting progress to stderr!?, it used to need less's `G' then `g' to
skip to the end, getting all the formatting work out of the way, and
then back to the start to redraw the screen, dumping the stderr.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy