[TUHS] man-page style

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Tue Nov 20 00:06:44 AEST 2018

On 11/19/18 1:13 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Jon Steinhart wrote:
>> Chet Ramey wrote:
>>> Improvement is in the eye of the beholder. RMS and other folks consider
>>> info, with its hyperlinks, indexes, and tree-based navigation the superior
>>> alternative.  Not just different, but better.
>> So were it me, I would have looked at the current culture in the UNIX
>> environment and figured out how it gracefully extend it for new
>> functionality.
>
> Yes, that's would have been very reasonable.

It was an explicit goal. From the GNU manifesto:

"GNU will be able to run Unix programs, but will not be identical to Unix.
We will make all improvements that are convenient, based on our experience
with other operating systems."

and

"Unix is not my ideal system, but it is not too bad. The essential features
of Unix seem to be good ones, and I think I can fill in what Unix lacks
without spoiling them."

Of course, one man's graceful extension is the next man's graceless
pillaging.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/