[TUHS] man-page style

David david at kdbarto.org
Tue Nov 20 01:41:23 AEST 2018

> On Nov 19, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 10:11 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com <mailto:jon at fourwinds.com>> wrote:
> Sort of like Americans expecting others to speak to them in English when they travel instead of understanding that they're in a different environment and it makes more sense to learn the culture as it's unlikely that everybody is gonna change just for you.
> Amen, brother Jon, can we get another Amen..

As a recent traveller overseas, Amen to that.

> What started this whole thread was Doug's comment about how succinct and  to the point man was.  If was a fine interface for >>UNIX<<.   Man (using roff) was what people expect.  It's not about better or worse -- it worked and worked well.
>

> Clem

The problem, as we have all converged on, is that writing well is hard. Writing concise, targeted prose, is even harder. So we get bloat in man pages or the info system which is just (IMHO) more bloat because people don’t want to spend the time writing well.

	David