[TUHS] man-page style

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue Nov 20 10:55:41 AEST 2018

The infection vector feels to me to be X10->X11 -> Xorg.

When X became the ubiquitous desktop system in UNIX, it was bringing
with it the MIT key bindings for editing text inside panes in X
applications (clients). This was by default the Emacs bindings.

The default (pre Bash) shell on BSD, and hence Solaris, was BSD
derived csh. Thus tcsh which had by default emacs bindings. Ksh
required more licence hoops, in some cases you had to buy it. I . am
unsure if its default was vi mode, but the net impact was: if you ran
any desktop system on the main arc of purchase in a university or near
relationship, you ran Dec Ultrix (X11) or OSF/1 (X11) or SunOS (X11,
after their initial foray into their own) or Unisys/Motorola terminals
on a cray (X10/X11) or Humingbird X client on a WIndows PC (X11) or a
tectronix X terminal (X11) or an NCD x terminal (X11)

We got to default edit in the Mosaic for the URL browser bar, by way
of X11 clients: look at that ma: it inherited the MIT emacs key
bindings.

X was the virus. Emacs key bindings went viral.