[TUHS] man-page style

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Nov 20 16:52:38 AEST 2018

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I think that's somewhat backwards in he spirit of 'UNIX'...  the man and
> info pages should reference the manual in /usr/doc/foo/

The goal for Info was to *be* the equivalent of /usr/doc/foo. Along the
way the default for Info changed to go to the 'invoking' section of a
manual so that you saw the options, arguably the most immediately
useful part of a man page, attempting to give the user the best of both
worlds.

All that said, I think this topic has been beaten to death. Info
did not successfully replace man pages.  As a file format, I think
that Info has very little left to offer.

What I do *love* is the Texinfo markup language, which is wonderful
for producing book-style documents.  And what's nice is that a
single input file can produce PDF, HTML and DocBook (as well as Info).

Arnold