[TUHS] In Memoriam: J.F.Ossanna

Ken Thompson ken at google.com
Wed Nov 28 14:48:52 AEST 2018

another joe:

echo 1 was a 100 foot balloon that was
launched into space  in the early 60s. this
was the first satellite that was easily visible
to the naked eye.

joe wrote a set of fortran programs that
tracked the orbit of echo and calculated
the direction to look from a point on earth.
to do this, he had to learn fortran and
orbital dynamics.

the programs were used to point antennas
to send emf from california. bouncing off
echo and received at bell labs in
new jersey. thus, thanks to joe, echo was
the first communications satellite.

by the time i came to bell labs (1966) the
program, azel, for azimuth/elevation, was
expanded to track planets, moons, satellites,
etc. moreover, it tracked the shadow of the
earth cast by the sun (night). it could predict
within a few seconds when echo would wink
on or off as it passed through the shadow.

a version of azel was maintained all the time
i was at bell labs. we used it to predict
eclipses, transits, occultations etc. when
we first got a voice synthesizer, the day's
predictions were spoken at 5pm in case
there was anything interesting.

anyway, at 5pm on june 8, 1983 the voice
announced an "occultation of mercury"
for early the next morning.

no one had heard of such a thing. it was
extremely rare. mercury had to be at
about its max elongation; the moon had
to be only a few hours old (or young);
it had to be dark; the moon and mercury
had to be above the horizon; and lastly,
the moon had to occult mercury.

we all (me, lee mcmahon, dennis ritchie,
rob pike, and bob morris) frantically tried
to verify that it was real. it was, but it
would only be about 5 degrees above
the horizon facing right into new york city.
not a chance. we all went home.

later that night we were writing to each
other and calculating that in an airplane
at 10,000 feet, the event moved up to 10
or 15 degrees above the horizon. also,
in an airplane, we could avoid nyc.

so at 3am, we (me, rob pike, rae mclellan)
went to the airport equipped with cameras
and binoculars. we flew north as high as the
plane would go. we might be the only
people in the world who have seen an
occultation of mercury. thank you joe.