[TUHS] stories

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Nov 29 03:17:25 AEST 2018

Ken's story got me thinking about stuff I would still like to learn
and his comment about "when I got to Bell Labs"... made me wonder
how did Ken, Dennis, Brian, Joe and the rest of the crew make their
way to Bell Labs?

When I was just starting out, Sun was sort of the Bell Labs of the
time (not that Sun was the same as Bell Labs but it was sort of
the center of the Unix universe in my mind).  So I wanted to go
there and had to work at it a bit but I got there.

Was Bell Labs in the 60's like that?  If you were a geek was that
the place to go?  I was born in '62 so I don't have any memory of
how well known the Labs were back then.

So how was it that so many smart - and somewhat like minded it seems -
people end up there?

--lm